No Night Shelter in Devizes this Winter
Despite recent cold nights Devizes Opendoors trustees have decided not to open a trial night shelter during February and March. The plan had been to open at week-ends and during times when the temperature was forecast to be at or below freezing for three or more nights. However, trustees have just heard their application for a grant has not been successful. It is also now clear that some of those who have been sleeping rough have recently been helped to find accommodation in other towns by Wiltshire Council.
Once more we have been delighted by the support from local people and organisations in the run up to Christmas and a Big Thank You Goes To...
- Coate Fireworks £500
- Hot Gossip (Wansdyke school staff) £100
- Wessex Model & Toy Auction Evening. (Total to be announced on the 4th Feb.)
- Local Labour Party Cellar Bar £214
- Wadworth Winter Market: Sale of hot drinks £163.18 plus £506.60
- Good Afternoon Choir Concert £833.87
- Sing Alive Choir £429.84
- Chamber Choir £51.20
- Bishops Cannings Tuesday Group £95.00
- Worton Nitt & Knatter Group £137. 10
- Worton & Marston Carol Service, £18120
- Marston Chapel Carol Service £125.10
- The (Lawrence) Arts Society £100.00
- Compton Bassett Christmas Fayre £200
- Devizes Rotary £270
- Women's Institute £12.50
- Metabolics £120
We also received the following monetary donations from supporters amounted to the following: 11 donors, £1,110 - 1 donor, £2,000 - Just Giving donors 675.09
We were also delighted by the generous gifts of wrapped presents, food from members of the public, local organisations and shops, including CW Butchers who supplied 60 pigs in blankets, Christmas cake and unwanted gift vouchers that altogether meant that our guests had a very enjoyable lunch on the 23rd December. Thanks to you all.
Be a Devizes Opendoors Befriender
Give a homeless person a hand up - not a handout
This autumn we are looking for people who can empathise and encourage.
We provide full training and you will join a supportive team of volunteer Befrienders.
Please click here to find out more, or contact John Saunders:
If you are homeless, know someone who is, or concerned about someone at risk of becoming homeless we might be able to help. Please call: 07493 825258
To speak to a member of the team during our regular opening times please call: 07722 096046